Saturday, January 7, 2012

Comfortable Flying for Long Flights

It's great to be back in Hong Kong after a whirlwind trip home to the States for Christmas and New Years. The trip was fantastic because I had the opportunity to spend time in some of my favorite cities with my amazing friends and family. I left on Dec. 17 and flew Continental Airlines direct to Newark, with a final destination in DC. I also visited New York, Richmond, Raleigh and Kilmarnock via various other means of transportation. I honestly can say that the long-haul flight is NOT bad. A 4-hour bus trip (what was i thinking?) is worse--much worse.

I usually do prepare a lot for the flight, though. My routine involves lots of exercise before the flight, combined with lots of drinking water. I do not drink alcohol a few days before the flight, nor do I drink alcohol on the flight. This all helps with the time zone adjustment process in the US.

Before I board I make sure that everything I could possibly need is within arms reach of me on the flight. It may sounds ridiculous, but little things make a long flight more comfortable. I have traditionally flown economy or economy plus on the long haul, and these little items make the experience almost pleasurable:

1. A fitted "releaf"  neck roll for travel. Do not use one of the loose doughnut pillows for your neck--it seems comfortable, but it's not. The fitted neck roll allows you to comfortably lean on a cushion while sitting in the stiff, upright economy class seat. When I board that plane I intend to sleep, and this neck roll will allow that to happen.

2. A sleeping pill. I know its a no-no to admit this, but I take a sleeping pill  when I travel to and from the US. I use it on the plane and once I have arrived at my destination to help me with jet lag. Getting adjusted to jet lag is easier for me if I am returning to Hong Kong from the US. It took me 1 day to readjust to Hong Kong time this trip; however, when I was going to the US it took me almost a full week to adjust. If you're a finicky sleeper like I am, sleeping pills help with your time efficiency while traveling in different time zones.

I usually board the plane, watch a movie and a TV show and wait for the first meal to be served--which is about 2 hours into the flight. Once I finish the meal, I take a sleeping pill and am usually asleep for about 9 hours. I don't mind missing the mid-flight snack, even though it's usually ice cream, and I love ice cream. When I fully wake up there are only a couple of hours left. During this time I usually go for a walk, brush my teeth, go drink a bunch of water, and eat the second meal, which is right before landing. Pretty easy.

3. Ear Plugs. Some people prefer noise cancelling headphones. I have never tried the BOSE brand ones, which most people love. I simply use old-fashioned, foam earplugs--the kind my dad used to have for hunting. They're simple and take up very little space.

4. Drops. When travelling at 35,000-37,000 Feet above sea level for 16 hours the air on an airplane can be painstakingly dry! Normally the good airlines monitor this, but once I flew back to the US on an aircraft that was so dry I thought I would have a nose bleed at any second. Save yourself the agony, and travel with saline nasal mist or gel. I have not used the gel, but I hear it is better than the mist. I simply use the mist and it is fine. I usually also travel with eye drops, but I never really need them. If you wear contacts, you may want to bring some eye drops along for the ride.

5. Water. Duh. I drink tons of water on the flight. I also use a water spray on my face and a facial moisturizer. I realize this may sound over-the-top, but when I arrive in the US, I want to arrive fresh and ready to go, especially if I have to work out of New York while fighting jet lag. This makes a HUGE difference in how you feel--and how clean your face feels when you arrive . I use these two products: L'Occitane Rosee Fraicheur, which is a hydrating mist for your face and Cetaphil Hydrating Lotion

6. Toothbrush. Just pack your toothbrush. It will make you feel better.

And that's about it. Friends, I hope this takes the fear out of flying for you. Now it's time to get yourselves over here!

Love,

Leaping Lizard

No comments: