Monday, June 21, 2010

Bon Voyage Weekend! Y'all are the best :)




This was a wonderful whirlwind weekend! I can't tell you how special it was and how touched I was that my friends went out on such a limb to say goodbye to me. I'd love to go into elaborate detail and revel in all the fun I had this weekend, and I don't want to gloat, but sorry if I do. I'll give you a rundown. Rob flew up Thursday night, and we kept it pretty low key, as I had work Friday and he had an interview at an American fund with offices in HK. I was giddy with anticipation all day at the thought of our evening plans. Lib and friends had worked hard to plan an Asian-themed party with our friend's at Charlotte's apartment. After the party I would leave for what I had been told would be a surprise "dinner" with Rob.

Charlotte's apartment was decked out with Chinese decorations (loved the paper dragon!) and delicious Asian-inspired foods. We hung out and danced and took pictures at Charlotte's for a while until Rob said it was time to go to dinner. (I was encouraged to eat the goods at the party, so I was already stuffed). Nonetheless, it was dinnertime, and Lib added some fireworks to the fete by "icing" me and Rob upon our departure. HA.


(Lib, my awesome roommie, and I in front of the vicious, hard-to-see paper dragon!)


After climbing out of the taxi, Rob claimed he "got confused" with directions (psh) on the way to the surprise restaurant, so we walked a little ways...towards Chelsea Piers. I was buying all of this, by the way, and embarrassingly had even spent the day on UrbanDaddy trying to figure out the surprise dinner locale (as much as I love them, I'm not used to surprises). Along the walk, I kept trying to figure out where in the world we were going. And we keep walking, around the corner, to the water near Chelsea Piers. As I turn the corner with Rob, I found ALL of my friends from the party were there. They told me we were going on a bon voyage sail along the Hudson!!! Yes, yes!! I teared up--totally could not help it. I was so touched and so surprised. Rob, Lib, Magnus, Charlotte, Jenna, Joe, Schwab, Brian, Ken, Coughlin, Molly, Merrill, Lizzie, Clara--Y'all are THE BEST. I love you all and am so appreciative of all you did. I will miss you tons (and we better stay in touch via this blog, skype, email/gchat/videochat!!!). For those of you who were unable to make it, I understand. You better stay in touch, too!!

After much champagne/beer/younameit on the beautiful boat (pictures to come), we left and went to the Rusty Knot/Bongo to cap off the night. At Bongo I happened to meet a girl wearing the same dress as I was wearing, and she happened to be moving to Hong Kong with Morgan Stanley NEXT WEEK. How bizarre!

Saturday I had lunch with Natalia before Rob and I met everyone from Friday night to go to Brew Fest on Governor's Island. If you haven't been to the island, GO. The island is one of my favorite places in NY (and the ferry is free!).

Anyway, the whole weekend was great. Friends, Thank you all again, I love you and couldn't have lived in NY for 2 years without you. XO

Merrill capped off the weekend well by sharing her Wii--someone let the dog's out! Rob--we're getting one in HK :)

















No comments: