Monday, February 7, 2011

Rock Out With Your Wok Out

I decided to do some Superbowl cooking Sunday night even though the Superbowl airs Monday morning (at 7 a.m.!) here in Hong Kong. I had been dying to make stir fry in a WOK, so last night I did. It is a ton of fun to cook with a wok--you get to use high heat, everything cooks quickly, and it's easy to improvise on your favorite ingredients. I ordered the veggies in the photo below and then went to the market to buy sprouts and flank steak. I used seasonings we already had to flavor the 'fry. I also bought Thai, long grain rice online so that I could start attempting to make rice in the Chinese style--aka sticky! Here's what happened:

 Rob sweetly chopped the veggies for me. 

Heating the wok and adding peanut oil! Vinegar, soy sauce and chili oil on the sidelines, ready for action. Computer and recipe on the dish drying rack.

sizzling steak and veggies

Yum!
Stir fry with sticky rice! It was delicious and fun. I will definitely do it again.

Recipe for Stir Fry and Rice here. Note, I did not have all of the stir fry ingredients, so I subbed peanut oil, white wine and vinegar for canola oil, sake and hoisin sauce. I also did not put the stir fry "in a bun" or add cornstarch as the recipe calls for...improvising worked well!

No comments: