Thursday, May 12, 2011

It has become wickedly hot in Hong Kong. The air is entirely wet, and it feels about 100 degrees if you leave your home or office. I dream of going on hikes this weekend, but I don't know if I can stomach it. I'm trying to cut down on the air conditioning to try to train my body to acclimate. Heat has never bothered me too much in the past, but if future days are anything like the past two days, life will take some getting used to.

When I'm not at work the best way to pass my time is by reading. This activity complements another activity, which involves lying very still beside the swimming pool. I find myself happy lounging indoors or out, reading a book. I finished Cutting for Stone on Tuesday, which was yet another holiday in Hong Kong--this time Buddha's birthday. I lay outside by the pool for 3 hours on a cloudy, muggy day and still managed to get ravaged by the sun! Clearly, fair skin is better suited for the indoors or a high SPF in this climate. Fortunately, however, I am still able to slip on my tennis shoes and go for runs on the treadmill--conveniently located IN doors!

No comments: