Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Sun Never Sets When You're Running in Hong Kong...Lesson of the Day #1

If you follow this blog, I think you know that I love the gym I have been going to in Hong Kong. I am only a quasi-member at this point because I haven't decided if I want to pony up and pay the high fees to join, but it's a sleek, trendy gym that makes you want to go work out. It's called Pure Fitness, and most of the international companies around here offer discounted memberships to their employees. Like at most gyms, it is filled with fit business professionals at peak hours, and at off-peak hours it is filled with mommies-to-be and all sorts of other creatures like (and unlike) myself. Today, for example, I decided to go for a run around lunchtime. I hopped on a treadmill next to an Asian girl who was running and who looked to be about my age. Call me a rube, but I thought I had already experienced most of my "lost in translation" moments while at the gym. Welp, I was wrong. As I embarked on my treadmill jaunt, I quickly learned that it is quite en vogue at my gym to wear full-on, black-out shades while you workout. Sister on the treadmill beside me was not only sporting shades bigger than those you might find on Park Avenue, she was reading! I was really impressed that she could run so well in the dark. I was even more impressed that she could run for 45 minutes without sweating or even touching her large sunglasses. She must have really good natural eye sight, as it's already pretty shady inside. I thought I had seen a lot...but no.

No comments: