Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Progress

Took a day off from blogging and miss it already! Hope you all are doing well at home. I miss you guys very much.

I'm doing my best to keep a positive attitude about the job search and am finding more success this week than last as things have picked up a bit. Knock on wood! I hope it stays this way, but there's no way of predicting. All I can do is the leg work and hope it pays off. As Lee and Jarrett say, let's hope the popcorn pops!

I went to a different gym this morning. It is located in the IFC, which stands for International Finance Center. The IFC is quintessentially Asian. It is an enormous complex that is home to many financial companies on the structure's higher levels. It also offers a smorgasbord of high-end shops, restaurants, hotels and even a movie theater on the lower levels. Pathways connect the facility to other buildings, which are designed in a similar fashion. This network of shopping and corporate business spans across all of Central Hong Kong. You can walk anywhere in this large network without getting wet on a rainy day. The IFC is also connected to the metro and to the ferry terminals. If heading to the airport, you can even check your bags at IFC!

My gym sits on the Northeast corner of the 3rd floor of IFC and overlooks both the Harbour and a mammoth construction site. It is nice to see so much construction here, as it is a visual representation of progress. Even though I gave a shameful performance on the treadmill this morning, I was inspired by the progress in front of me. I couldn't help but want to get back to my computer and make something happen on the job front. I've never really observed a major construction site in action, particularly since the recession struck two years ago, but watching dozens of cranes working at once and watching diggers dig huge holes in the earth reminded me what effort and action can build. Even though my efforts haven't begun to pay off as much as I would like, having reassuring surroundings helps keep a positive, pro-active attitude. Now...must get back to the search.

Hasta la vista!

Lizard

p.s. I love hearing from you guys (it's what keeps me going)! Promise I'll write you back.

No comments: