Monday, November 1, 2010

Routines and Popcorn

Good'ay,

It's Monday evening here, and I hope you guys at home are gearing up for another Monday morning. Monday morning after Halloween is probably a bit more difficult than most Mondays, so I'm thinking of you all.

I find that I don't have as much to report these days, as I've pretty much settled into a routine here in Hong Kong. My morning usually goes something like this: wake up, eat Greek yogurt with almonds and have a skim cappuccino (do not know how I picked up this habit, but it has become a habit. I guess there are worse habits to pick up). Then I send some job e-mails or general e-mails or have early morning Skype calls--I would love to have more of these..hint, hint...so long as they are after 8. At 9 a.m. I run Bowen Road, which feels like running through a tropical rainforest! I could could spend the whole day there, but I don't! Then I usually go home or to Subway for lunch. I usually switch it up in the afternoon by going to meetings, reading, watching news or just goofing around. I love visiting the fancy grocery stores in Hong Kong and seeing all the international foods, many of which do not have English translations on their labels. Sometimes I'll play Russian Roulette, take my chances and purchase one of these items.

This afternoon I went to the local fresh market to pick up some peppers and onions for dinner. Rob and I are making our new go-to dish that we call "Hong Kong Noodle Hash." It is nutritious and inexpensive, and while it doesn't include potatoes as you may expect from the word hash, I like the way the dish sounds and tastes. The ingredients are lean ground pork (pork is the most available meat here), peppers, onions, chili oil, a small dash of wine or sweet soya sauce, and rice noodles. We cook down the onions and peppers in a pan and then add the ground pork and seasonings. Add this concoction to the cooked rice noodles, serve in bowls with chopsticks, and voila!

As an hors oeuvre, I tried air popping popcorn on the stove top this evening. Not only did the kernels pop, they popped UP and ALL over the kitchen. I wish I had a picture because it was pretty funny. I felt like Amelia Bedelia.



If you have any easy, favorite recipes, please send 'em this way.

Anyway, have a great Monday.

Cheers,

Lizard

No comments: